Jehovah-Nissi

Jehovah-Nissi
The Lord is my Banner

Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Best of What's Around

When we begin on a journey with God, it's exciting and freeing and promising.  There is so much to look forward to and nothing to fear because God is with us.  Then, the journey takes a turn we had not figured into the plan.

Five years ago, I was thrilled to be graduating college and moving into the next phase of my life.  I had a plan...ideas...a picture of what I deemed right and worthy for my life.  Once I had that set, I told God I was ready to put Him at the wheel and follow him where He would lead.  I was ready to follow.  I was ready to welcome HIS plan.  What I was not prepared for was that His plan was not the same as my plan.

My current prayer pattern often includes "God, this is not what I had in mind..." I had such a different picture for this moment in time.  A plan I thought was iron clad.  A plan that was mine...not God's.  It's not as easy to just "let go and let God" as it seems it should be.  Human nature recoils at the very thought of giving up the power to something unseen - uncontrollable...  Graciously, God has a way of making our feeble attempts at greatness pale in comparison to His sovereign will.

In church today, LT said something that really stuck.  It's been rattling around in my mind all afternoon...He said "God is at work, He is never tardy, and it will be the best in the end."  The thought that none of MY best laid plans are best is more than comforting.  It's freeing!  Freeing to know that putting it all together is not on my shoulders...it's on His!  What peace this provides!

I realize that this is roughly a carbon copy of my last post...but it's a lesson that God is continuing to teach me because I need continuous reminders.  As I continue to allow God to put the puzzle together (despite my attempts at taking over) I find my prayer pattern has changed to "God, make my mind like yours.  Make my will match yours.  Show me how to execute your plan to your glory."  I know that God has my life and purpose already written.  I know it's up to me to make the right choices to follow that purpose.  And, God knows that I'm going to try to take over again.  I am going to try to insert MY desires into HIS plan.  I am going to attempt to use my own power because that is what humans do.  But, God decides the end and in the end is when all things are at their best.

I still struggle moment by moment to reconcile my ideals to His will.  There are many things I think I am missing out on.  Many I have shared, and some I have kept between me and God.  And sometimes it's super hard to move on past those desires as I see the people around me thriving in pieces of a life I would have planed for myself...however, when the dark sadness of doubt and fear snakes its way into my thoughts, God is always there to remind me of the truth.  He is with me.  He is at work.  He is never tardy.  He will give the best in the end!  And the darkness fades and I am left with bright hopeful joy!  I am not missing out...I am holding out.  Waiting in Christ for the best of what's around!

No comments:

Post a Comment